In praise of Bobby Ryan

In praise of Bobby Ryan
"The biggest thing is just his poise and his hands are unbelievable. I played with [Evgeni] Malkin and [Sidney] Crosby, and those guys are probably the two best in the league. Bobby's hands are right with those guys... He's a superstar in the making, it seems."
---Ryan Whitney, former Ducks defenseman

Friday, June 12, 2009

Last game of the year

The Cup goes home tonight.

How crazy, a game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals. They keep pointing out how rare this is, how the last one happened in 2003, with the Anaheim Ducks battling the New Jersey Devils.

On one hand, I could be a little miffed that it isn't my Ducks in this again, battling the Pittsburg Penguins for the Holy Grail of Hockey. But actually, I'm not too broken up about that. There has been some really entertaining hockey up to this point (save game 5 where the Pens completely unraveled before our very eyes), and I am greatly looking forward to tonight's game.

I can enjoy it so much more because I don't have a huge invested interest in who wins. I love my Ducks, don't get me wrong, but I practically had an aneurysm watching them in their game 7 against the Wings. There was no way I could enjoy that game. If they were in this final? Ack! So tonight, no aneurysm, no matter who's leading after the 1st... or 2nd... or with five minutes left in the 3rd. I'm rooting for ex-Duck Chris Kunitz and the Pens because hey, underdogs, I do like Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby (whiny brat behavior aside) as talented players, and I kinda don't want to see a Wing dynasty.

But really? This might be kinda mean, but I want to see the look on Marian Hossa's face when that cup is once again hoisted by his opponent. That, in itself, is its own mini drama.

Who do you want to win? Oh, and who are you predicting for the Conn Smythe?

I can't even say who I think will get that Conn Smythe. I stink at predictions as it is, but in this game? I don't think there is a clear cut MVP. Maybe a goaltender. But even then, I'm not sure. I'd like to say Chris Osgood has been more than excellent in these playoffs, but really? I think he hasn't had to face too many difficult shots. Detroit's D is just so strong, they don't allow many pucks to even get to Osgood. Maybe Fleury? Maybe.

Either way though, it's going to be one helluva game tonight. There is no clear cut winner right now, it could go to either team. And I am soooo looking forward to the season going out with a bang. Here's to great hockey!

Go Pens!!

0 comments:

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories