In praise of Bobby Ryan

In praise of Bobby Ryan
"The biggest thing is just his poise and his hands are unbelievable. I played with [Evgeni] Malkin and [Sidney] Crosby, and those guys are probably the two best in the league. Bobby's hands are right with those guys... He's a superstar in the making, it seems."
---Ryan Whitney, former Ducks defenseman

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ducks at Boston, vs Bruins

There's no televised broadcast of today's game, so I'm listening to the pregame, the game, and Josh Brewster's Duck Calls all on the radio. This is the first, and last, time the Ducks will play against the Eastern Conference leader. Might be a good thing.

First thing I'm hearing on the pregame, is that there's been a big trade between the Ducks and the Pittsburg Penguins.

Uh-oh.

It turns out, the Ducks have traded out Chris Kunitz (!!) for a Pen named Ryan Whitney. Kunitz comes with a prospect, Eric Tangradi (who's been called a "young Bobby Ryan," as if you could get any younger). I'm definitely sad hearing about this. I like Kunitz, and doesn't he have a designated space as part of the Ryan Getzlaf/Corey Perry group? Who's going to be up there? I hope Carlyle doesn't rearrange the second line, because Bobby Ryan, Teemu Selanne, and Andrew Ebbett seem to have a good chemistry together. Break that up to bring one of those boys to the first line... I don't know about that.

On the other hand, I can see the business behind this. Emotionally, you'd like to see the guy who's been with the team so long, who was part of the original Stanley Cup lineup, stay with the group. But if you want to get a good player, you gotta give a good player. And Kunitz, while he does score some points, hasn't scored a lot of them lately.

Still, it tugs at my heartstrings. Chris Kunitz, no longer a Duck.

They're saying that Whitney will be playing in the Ducks' lineup tonight, possibly alongside Chris Pronger, against the Bruins. So we'll get to see what we gave up a good man for. I am reading, however, that Whitney is a really good puck-moving defenseman... and we know that's been a shortcoming of our Ducks this season. I'll try to have faith in the suits' decision here, but it isn't going to be easy!

The game is underway, with Getzlaf's head encased in a visor due to the broken nose he acquired in Buffalo. I'm glad he's on the ice, but it's gotta be difficult to see when you're not used to playing with the visor. I'm hearing the second line is still intact. They're on the ice with Whitney and Pronger. J.S. Giguere is in net for the Ducks, All-Star Tim Thomas in net for the Bruins.

(I find myself really wishing I had a visual of the game. I'm so much better at this when I can SEE! Supposedly, there's an unofficial watch party, but I'm already comfortable at home on my couch with some Chex Mix and a beer... and I don't feel like dealing with Thursday evening traffic.)

About ten minutes into the period, the Ducks get their first penalty and play short-handed. Lots of plays on net here for both teams. At the end of the power play, no goals for anyone. I'm hearing lots of opportunities for the Bruins, and somehow, they've been missing. Still, it makes me nervous to hear that they're managing to center the puck and take aim so many times.

Perry gets hi-stuck (is that a word?) against the boards, and the Ducks go on their first power play. Nada. But Bobby gets close at the very end of that power play.

Before the end of the first, the Bruins get that first goal of the game. There's a giveaway in the neutral zone, and the Bruins capitalize. The first intermission sees a score of 0-1, Ducks trailing.

Early in the second period, another goal for the Bruins. And then a third. Aye.

I'm starting to get that sick feeling in my stomach that tells me I might not hear this game to its completion.

I'm waiting to hear if Jonas Hiller will be taking over. And yup, sure enough, he is. On eight shots, the Bruins have scored three goals. Probably a good time for Hiller to step up.

Keep in mind, these are the Bruins. They are number one in the Eastern Conference. Somehow, that keeps me from feeling too bad.

Our Ducks are trying. Scotty Niedermayer is playing up on the offense. The Ducks get another power play opportunity. Unfortunately, our boys can't capitalize. And then George Parros gets into a fight with Bruins' Thornton.

Bret Hedican has to leave the ice as an injury... I'm surprised he's out there anyway, with those back issues. Hell, do I know back issues.

Ducks have more shots on goal, but Bruins have the numbers where they count most.

A major fight breaks out as Mike Brown gets jumped on while he's down. Everyone gets paired off. Sheldon Brookbank and Pronger try to help out their teammate. Brown and Bruin Milan Lucic get the penalty box where they continue to yell at each other, but you can bet that Lucic is going to get his by somebody before this game is over. Then Brown goes to the locker room.

How can this be? Bruins get a power play off that scrum? Brown gets 2 minutes for instigating, 5 for fighting, and 10 for misconduct. Brookbank also takes a 2 minute penalty. And Lucic? Only the 5 for fighting. As it's called, the Captain drops gloves with Marc Savard, and both pick up 2 for roughing.

My god.

I don't think I've ever seen Scotty get into a fight. At least, if I have, I don't remember it.

Once play resumes, there's another Duck penalty immediately. Steve Montador for tripping. Geezus. There's three guys in the Duck penalty box, two in the Bruin box. The power play becomes 5 on 3, and the Bruins make good on it. 4-0.

Frustrated, Parros takes a holding penalty creating yet another power play opportunity for the Bruins. Again, another goal. 5-0.

Is this really happening??? There's only a minute left in the second period, thankfully, but I have a feeling that the third period is going to be an angry one.

In the third, so many great scoring chances for the Ducks. My boy Bobby comes very close yet again, but no goal. It's been a while since Bobby has scored, but I'm noticing he's getting guarded by much stronger opponents nowadays, sometimes even double-covered. I guess that's what happens when you draw attention to yourself as a good player.

The scoreboard definitely does not reflect the effort our Ducks are putting forward. I wonder if Kunitz's loss has anything to do with breaking our boys' concentration?

Then, a cross-checking call which gives the Ducks a power play. Please guys, let's at least get on the board? A good effort, but nothing to show for it.

With six minutes remaining, another Bruins goal. *groan* Try as they might, our Ducks can't fight off the shutout, 0-6.

The best thing about this game? It's finally over.

0 comments:

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories