In praise of Bobby Ryan

In praise of Bobby Ryan
"The biggest thing is just his poise and his hands are unbelievable. I played with [Evgeni] Malkin and [Sidney] Crosby, and those guys are probably the two best in the league. Bobby's hands are right with those guys... He's a superstar in the making, it seems."
---Ryan Whitney, former Ducks defenseman

Monday, March 9, 2009

After the trade dust settles

First things first, can I say I'm a little unnerved about my boy Bobby Ryan changing his number? For one, I can't exactly change the url of this here blog so, he's still going to be the 54 reference in the title, no matter what number he changes to. For another, my bad eyes can't usually see the difference between a big "8" skating on the ice and a big "9." So, I see Teemu Selanne and Bobby skating at the same time in that second line, and I have a hard time figuring out who's who.

That's annoying.

Otherwise, if Bobby's happy with #9, I suppose I am. And luckily, I was able to change my order for a Bobby Ryan jersey and I'll be able to wear his number 9 at the next game I attend (which, coincidentally might actually be a Kings vs. Coyotes game thanks to a friend of mine nabbing free tickets).

Anyway!

I'm hearing a lot of mixed opinions regarding the trade deadline results. I was just as horrified as any other Ducks fan, hearing that not just one, not just two, but FOUR of our active roster would no longer play in Duck jerseys. The news about Chris Kunitz was already hard to take, but now? Now we'd be saying goodbye to Travis Moen, Kent Huskins, Sammy Pahlsson, and Steve Montador (one of my personal favorites). What's the world coming to?

Let's not forget that Kunitz has been an integral part in the Pittsburg Penguins' recent good fortune. The boy has been scoring goals and assists left and right. As a hockey fan, I'm happy for him. It's his time to shine with a team who will see him improve as a player. But as a Ducks fan, I'm still sad. That's OUR Chris Kunitz, one of OUR Stanley Cup Ducks.

But what good will whining get us? No good. At least we still have Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer, and J.S. Giguere. Let's take a look at the newbees we've got now.

Petteri Nokelainen (#17) from the Bruins, traded for Montador. He's making a name for himself as an excellent faceoff winner. I also think he's a good skater, I've watched him maneuver the puck on the ice. He received a horrible eye injury in a Bruin game against the Sharks, but has recovered fully, thank god. He's getting more ice time with the Ducks, which he is definitely enjoying, and he's getting a chance to play on the penalty kill specialty team. The trade was a good one for improving his skills as a hockey player. The icing on the cake? He's now playing with his boyhood hero, Teemu Selanne.

James Wisniewski (#34) from the Blackhawks, traded for Pahlsson. He's a defenseman, and Carlyle is using him on the defensive charge with Scotty. Murray's plan is to eventually use him along with Ryan Whitney in retooling the defensive line. He's excited to learn from Scotty and Pronger, thinking it will be good for his career.

Erik Christensen from (#26) Thrashers. He's a forward, being paired as a winger with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. Murray believes the boy needs good forwards to play with, and he'll score goals with them. He'd put himself in a tough position with the Thrashers, trying to live up to his Number One Center label. He couldn't play to his expectations because of nerves and is excited to start clean with the Ducks, playing alongside great forwards. He's already provided a couple of assists, so he's off to a good start.

Finally, two guys not in the pros yet, center Nick Bonino and goaltender Timo Pielmeier. These are draft picks from the Sharks, we lost Travis Moen and Kent Huskins for them, but Murray assures us that they are worth all that and a bag of chips. I'm very curious to see these guys on the ice, but we might have to wait until next season for that.

For good measure, I'll mention Mike Brown, who we received from the Canucks in exchange for Nathan McIver a few weeks before the trade deadline. Personally, I'm really liking what I've seen with Brown. He's out there, picking fights and dropping gloves, as we'd expected him to. But also, he's a passionate player. I see him skating confidently, hitting hard on the forecheck, getting in deep to battle for the puck in the corners, putting a lot of energy into his charges. We definitely got a good man out of this deal.

All of these new guys are under 26 years old. Their addition makes the team very young, and that bodes well for the future. We've got young guys with potential, mixed in with some very successful veterans. What better people to teach, and what better people to learn from?

I completely understand GM Bob Murray's position regarding the boys we gave up. They were part of a long list of unrestricted free agents, guys who may or may not sign with the Ducks for next season. And if they didn't? We'd lose them anyway, with nothing but holes in the roster to fill. By using them in trades, Murray could at least make sure we'd get something for them. Considering the tentative positioning the Ducks continue to have in their run for a playoff spot this season, I'm thinking this was definitely a good move on Murray's part for the future of the Ducks. They might not make this season's playoffs, but even if they don't, we'll have a good lineup to make an excellent run for next season's.

Sometimes, the future is all you have.

0 comments:

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories