In praise of Bobby Ryan

In praise of Bobby Ryan
"The biggest thing is just his poise and his hands are unbelievable. I played with [Evgeni] Malkin and [Sidney] Crosby, and those guys are probably the two best in the league. Bobby's hands are right with those guys... He's a superstar in the making, it seems."
---Ryan Whitney, former Ducks defenseman

Sunday, May 31, 2009

2009 Stanley Cup finals, game 2

So, I found a few things worthy of comment about last night's Game One.

I think the Pittsburg Penguins did well. I mean, considering where the Pens were earlier this season... it's kind of like how our Ducks pretty much sucked going up to the trade deadline. And then, you get some fresh guys in the lines, you kick some veteran asses and make them realize that their post season is on the line... tada! Playoff run.

For the Pens, it was firing the coach that they started the season with and getting Dan Bylsma behind the bench. They picked up a few key guys at the trade deadline, including Bill Guerin and ex-Duck Chris Kunitz and... tada! Playoff run.

Well, maybe it wasn't that simple, but they're definitely miles from where they started. And remember, they're up against the Detroit Red Wings who are arguably the strongest club in the league right now.

I liked the speed behind the Pens. I liked their aggression. Good hits, good plays. The game was close and came down to lucky bounces for the Wings, in my opinion. Particularly the goal that the Wings have Fleury's butt to thank, and the shot at Osgood's crease which flew straight up into the air and landed directly on the goalie's back. A Red hand covered that puck and, if I'm not mistaken, someone putting a hand on a puck in the goal crease is an automatic penalty shot. Isn't it?

But all in all, it was a good fight and I'm looking forward to game 2 of this series which, is starting right about now.

Go Pens!

0 comments:

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories